FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MTI-87 - Stockton Tramway
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Article Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giles b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject: MTI-87 - Stockton Tramway Reply with quote

If I was planning another small layout I'd be very tempted by the Stockton Tramway. Several WRG members gathered round the layout last Saturday discussing how it could be developed if it was a little longer.

It was thought that a turnout on the platform line to provide a run-round loop would be a good option, but retaining the possibility of goods wagons being left at the bakery. How best to run round a passenger train? The secret is to make the new platform line long enough to take the loco and coach; put the coach in the bakery siding (along with any wagons), then run round as normal, push the coach into the platform, replace the wagons where they were, and run up the other side of the loop to couple up to the coach for the return trip.

I also liked the hamster house warehouse.

pdbrooksburke

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Stockton Reply with quote

Yes that would work OK but the platform end would need to curve around quite in order to keep the board rectangular. What length are we talking here- 5-6' possibly?

Incidentally the photos of it are great make it look much nicer than the black/white ones in MTI itself. Are there any more?
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: MTI-87 - Stockton Tramway Reply with quote

giles b wrote:

It was thought that a turnout on the platform line to provide a run-round loop would be a good option.

An alternative would be to put the passenger station into a trainshed, maybe not a common feature on minor railways but a bit of imagineering could create one, perhaps civic pride in the tramway meant there was an ornate station roof provided at the ratepayers' expense. Anyway, if the passenger track terminated under an overall roof this could be used to hide a short sector plate for running round.

I did actually think there was a sector plate there when I first glanced at the pictures in the magazine. Laughing

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
giles b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent idea, Bob. I'd thought of adding a roof (Wantage-style) but the additiuon of the sector plate would be the icing on the cake as well as a space stealer.

Giles
Jordan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Stockton Reply with quote

pdbrooksburke wrote:

Incidentally the photos of it are great make it look much nicer than the black/white ones in MTI itself. Are there any more?

Glad you said that!! At first I thought it seemed quite strange seeing one of Chris's layouts in colour, being so used to B/W pics in MTI, but I thought that might sound a little unkind..! Embarassed Wink
giles b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Stockton Reply with quote

pdbrooksburke wrote:
Yes that would work OK but the platform end would need to curve around quite in order to keep the board rectangular. What length are we talking here- 5-6' possibly?

I was thinking of needing to get a small loco and either two 4-wheeled /1 short bogie coach* in the platform clear of the points. This would add about 9 inches to the approx 3ft length of the layout, plus a corresponding addition in the fiddle yard, so about 4ft 6ins to 5ft in total. Stretch it to 6ft for more elbow-room if you like, but I can only get 4ft 6ins into the car - if I were to build it. (am I talking myself into a new layout, I wonder?)

* There was a model of an American balcony ended 1850s era coach, with an arc roof, available some time ago which made a great light tramway coach, reminiscent of the Falcon coaches on the West Sussex Railway, for my Wittering layout. It would work fine for the Stockton Tramway, too, if one can still find it for sale.

I do have one more picture; here it is:-

Ken

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giles

Mantua make 1860 era passenger cars.

http://www.hobbylinc.com/prods/udc_csm.htm

Ken
giles b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken wrote:
Mantua make 1860 era passenger cars. http://www.hobbylinc.com/prods/udc_csm.htm Ken

Those are the ones - the passenger car with addition of UK-style buffers, the removal of the stovepipe chimney, and perhaps a little work on the balcony rails can look really good. The brake version is a bit too American.

Didn't know they were produced for Model Power nowadays, so probably could be bought in the UK.
Ken

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Model Junction stock them, but as they do not seem to have any at the moment, I just googled the above link to show you what they are.

I definitely saw them on the Model Junction website a couple of months ago.

Ken
A Federici

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello.
A very nice and small layout!
In Italy steam tramways had usually a central buffer. Quite different from UK!
Some stock can be purchased from Halling; I refer to old electric tram wagons, that look quite similar to belgian, french and italian tram coaches.
I think you could disguise the traverser under a wooden canopy, quite common last century.
With some friends i'm building a steam tram station layout. The layout is 90 cm x 30 cm, and has two fiddle yards. Total lenght is 180 cm. I've used Peco Y small radius and settrack points. Station has 2 passing track, 3 siding and a ferry connection.
A lot of railway in a very small space.
I'm going to post some photoes quite soon.

Antonio
giles b

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Antonio,

Your layout sounds interesting. I look forward to seeing the pictures. Are the tramway models you mention metre gauge/H0m or standard gauge?

Giles
A Federici

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tram is H0 scale, standard gauge.
Here is a photo. Work in progress!

On the left there are an industrial building (a webbing fabric) and a very small ferry connection. This is similar to some freight ferry service once used in Iseo lake.
In the middle, there is the station.
On the rignt we have some building of the small town od Verdone, wich is famous for an ond romanic church in the midde of our layout. Obviously Vedone exists only in our fantasy!
We have an inset track, even if in MCAdam road.
Layout can be fold, and all things (the layout irself, the buildings and the background) can be recovered in a box of 50x33x28 cm.

Antonio
Jordan

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, Antonio; the bad influence of MTI can easily be seen!! Laughing Wink
giles b

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice indeed, Antonio. Please keep the pictures coming as the layout develops.
pdbrooksburke

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Stockton Tramway Reply with quote

Yes indeed the layout looks nice Antonio, especially the freight depot on the left and the back of the church-perhaps you could tell us a bit more about construction either here or submit to Chris for MTI?
Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Article Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: