FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suggestions for a 4' x 2' N scale layout?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> The Bar
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mog

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Suggestions for a 4' x 2' N scale layout? Reply with quote

I plan to build (at some indeterminate point in the future) Wink another American N scale layout.. as much as I enjoy the shunting .. sorry, switching, on August Yard.. ideally I'd like a bit of a run too.
The layout would really be geared toward home use rather than exhibiting.

I really don't know much about American railroading but hope to keep vaguely in New England and around the sixties.

I've been collecting trackplans and doodling too.. but ideas for track plans welcome..

I'd like..

- A loop for continuous running.
- More than two spots for spotting freight (perhaps use card system)
- Interchange track or fiddle track
- Water feature
- Something not too difficult to construct. Don't mind if it uses EZ track or similar although setrack points are not favourite.
- Limited to 4'x2' maximum (can be smaller).

Any ideas? Very Happy

Mogtrains2 at:
http://mogtrains.blogspot.com/
Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKcRvdN719g66eDzc2iUN1w
davidbromage

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Suggestions for a 4' x 2' N scale layout? Reply with quote

There are some good ideas on this page.

http://www.naisp.net/mfischer/m_train2.htm

Cheers
David
shortliner2001

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin - you have mail!
Versif

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perverse I know, in that I'd never build anything like this in HO, but I quite like the one with the comments:

New 08/01/2002 If you like your industries, this layout may be what you need. The long interchange track at left feeds seven assorted industries, with room for at least 12 cars. If it weren't for the closed oval, this could be considered a switching layout.

I'd change the 2 track industry into a yard area and possibly add a 3rd track. So it would be form train in the yard, run out to the interchange, swap cars, move on to the first industry and set out cars, around to the loop and set out cars on all spurs before breaking up the train into the yard. Repeat ad nauseam. It would still give you 6 industries to serve.

The other one I like in this micro set-up is:

New 11/17/2002 Engines are expensive; track is cheap. If you have a switcher and a road engine and would like to gove them a work-out, check this plan out. The four-track yard gives you room to make and break trains on the arrival track outside the oval, while the interchange and three spurs give a freight train something to do. The engine house and engine pocket complete the scene.

The engine house would become an industrial spur (remove one track) and the interchange would lose its 2 spurs. If possible I would add a trailing spur on the right hand side back down to where those other spurs were to provide another industry.

So once more build up train in yard, depart and deal with interchange traffic, onto the first spur (if feasible) and then around to the main industries. Back towards the yard to serve the final industry and then break up the train in theyard. Repeat once more. Potentially 5 industries to serve.

So Martin, just what are you going to build in 2' by 4'?

Cheers
shortliner2001

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin - not sure why I didn't think of this, but try here - they might need to be slightly larger than 4x2 when scaled down
<http://www.gatewaynmra.org/project.htm> You will find some good, switchable, Roundy-roundy's there
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> The Bar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: