FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More rambling round Arkansas
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Broadoak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of pictures of an SW1500 no 1318 wearing the UP livery with Mopac lettering which it wore for a short time. The model is an early Athearn that has a fully detailed cab and was made by the late Mike Scott. I bought it from him some years ago at an NMRA meet.
The switcher is seen working the yard at Colonelís Crossing having brought in a train from Hope AR.
I read somewhere these locomotives could be very hot to work in during the Summer due to the large area of glass, a bit like a greenhouse I should think!
Peter

Last edited by Broadoak on Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:36 am; edited 2 times in total
extra7000south

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking switcher Peter!! Cool
Broadoak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This beautiful Green Mountain Alco RS1 is another of Andyís models this one is not DCC fitted. He bought it when on a visit to the states. I think the livery suits it very well. She runs as well as she looks.
In the first picture she is seen in the yard at Benson, the scenery could be anywhere really.
In the second shot she is just leaving the flour mill head shunt behind the service station.

In the third picture she is busy making up a train of pulp wood cars at east yard in Benson.

Peter

Last edited by Broadoak on Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:58 am; edited 2 times in total
Broadoak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will all be able to breath a sigh of relief as we are nearly at the end of the ramble.
A picture taken of an Ashsley Drew & Northern CF7 picking up a load of pulp wood flats from Benson east yard late in the day and then departing. She is now dirtier than in some earlier pictures she had taken. I often do this, a little work staining at first then after a while I add a little more weathering. It looks more natural that way I think.
Peter

Last edited by Broadoak on Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:07 am; edited 2 times in total
Broadoak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well folks this is it we are at the last photograph.
Here we see the AD&N no 1513 at the back of the Trisco Flour mill, a view you canít normally see as it is taken from the back of the layout with the camera on the track.
I must admit I rather like the CF7 and so did many real short lines.
I was told that in reality that they were not very popular with their crews being draughty and uncomfortable. That is the thing with a model we are able to run what ever suits us.

I regret I no longer have this photograph.

Peter

Last edited by Broadoak on Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:09 am; edited 2 times in total
extra7000south

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a awesome little layout Peter!!!
Thanks for sharing the photos and story with us. Very Happy
Ken

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter the CF7 pictures are incredible. It cannot end though. please Your pictures are always taken at an angle where you think you are really there,

Please may there be more.....

Ken
Broadoak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words Ken but Andy took the photos, I only made the coffee. Smile

Iím sure he will be up again and he always brings his camera so Iím pretty sure there will be more pictures.

Peter
Jordan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter this just isn't on, y'know... sneaking in photos of the real thing in amongst your layout pictures...

Surely you didn't think we wouldn't spot it...?!? Shocked Rolling Eyes Razz

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Andy K

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Wandering Round Broadoak Reply with quote

Pete and other devotees of the Forum.

Many thanks for all the kind comments regarding the pictures I have taken of both the Interstate & Western and the Sisters Farm. Peter does make resonable cup of coffee.

First let me say that a $1000 camera will not improve a 2 cent layout (hope I have got the meaning ok). The layout, though not big by some US standards, has numerous small scenes that are allways interesting to photograph.

Years ago I was fond of a British magazine called "Model Railway Constuctor", now long since gone.

Two things struck me:

1. The magazine mixed British with non-British articles.
2. The staff photographer, sadly I can not remember who, concentrated on taking photos from "ground level", trying to recreate little dioramas as if he was standing there.
This second point always made me think "I could do that" as only a small portion of what may (or may not) be a large layout was visible in the photo.

If I may, I would like to offer some tips to any one considering taking some pictures of there layout.
If they are rubbish, put it down to the ramblings of an idiot and you won't be far wrong.

First the camera. I use a small compact that has manual settings and a macro function.
Turn the flash off and set the the aperture as small as you can. You will need a tripod, or put it on a flat surface on the layout, or perhaps a table next to the layout. Raise it up with books so that the lens sticks just above the baseboard.
Most compacts have a self timer, so use this to stop camera shake when you fire the shutter.

Unless you want to show the entirety of the layout to give the ideaof a track plan then:

Get down low (Sorry Pete your bored with me saying it). Imagine you are standing there by the track building etc, not flying in a helicopter. I can't afford to do it and I am scared of heights.

Try to keep the forground clear, the camera will focus on the loco or freight car etc, not on the vehicle in front which will throw the loco or subject out of focus.

If you use a compact, try puuting in on the layout so that you get a view that you (the owner) don't often see.
Try taking a photo into a mirror. Position the mirror somewhere its difficult to get to then use a cheap paint program on the PC to "Un Mirror" the image.

Allways try to have some control of the light. Try taking pictures of your layout at night using a reading lamp or a large torch to illuminate the subject.
Have a look at the shadows and try to make them like a real photograph. Copy the angle etc out of a book of your favourite pictures.

A digital camera with a back screen will show you what it sees and you can easily throw a bad picture in the bin (and no one will know!).

Above all, try to make out you are there. Where would I go to get that picture of the shortlines lovely GP7 in the sparkle colour sceme.
extra7000south

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Andy.
Those are awesome photos!! Cool
Broadoak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those fans of Andyís work I have found a few more unpublished photos taken on his last visit. I hope you enjoy them.

Peter

Last edited by Broadoak on Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:23 am; edited 2 times in total
extra7000south

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the photos.

You know Peter...
We are going to want to see more!!! Very Happy
Ken

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic, good to see 5015 again Peter and Andy thaks for taking such great pictures and passing on those words of wisdom
Broadoak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found one more from a previous visit.
The yellow 44 ton beast is self explanatory.

Peter

Last edited by Broadoak on Tue May 01, 2018 6:56 am; edited 3 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 4 of 26

Jump to: