FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More rambling round Arkansas
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Broadoak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:26 pm    Post subject: More rambling round Arkansas Reply with quote

Andy Knott (fellow Two Sisters operator and the guy who took these photographs) comes up from time to time to play trains. He has only a small layout at home so it is a good way of giving his locos a bit of a gallop.
He is the owner of this all singing and dancing Conrail GE B23-7 road switcher. Two wires connected by crocodile clips to my DC set up and we had the benefits of full sounds etc.
No 2810 about to rumble over Colonelís Creek with a small pulpwood train.
Peter

Last edited by Broadoak on Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Broadoak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another of Andyís DCC equipped locomotives an Alco RS in Delaware & Hudson colours. I lightly weathered the trucks and lower sections for him to match a photo of the locomotive in a book he has. It is the only one like this on the roster. Iím sure Ken can tell us a bit more.

Peter

Last edited by Broadoak on Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Ken

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great photo Peter. This was a one-off colour scheme and in contrast to the regular lightning stripes blue/grey. I think it looks good though.

Ken
Broadoak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are a little sort of space and need an industry that takes up very little room this idea may appeal to you.
It is an auger fed powdery substance loader for want of a better description. On my layout soda ash is brought in by truck then tipped into a pit (covered by wooden boards when not in use) and then loaded by the electrically driven auger in the elevator.
The model is a few bits of plastic from my scrap box and a kiddies drinking straw. Easy to make and gives another reason for spotting a car at a team track for instance.

The Western Mining ore loader in the background is scratch built with plasticard and brick papers. It is generic rather than a particular prototype using features I liked and designed to suit the space available.

Peter

Last edited by Broadoak on Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Ken

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very convincing Peter and if you turn it round it becomes a way of unloading covered hoppers into trucks.

Ken
Jordan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That name "Western Mining Co." rings a bell... a 2ft x 2ft 009 layout from Nov 1980 through Feb '81 Model Trains, I do believe.... Very Happy Wink

Nice pics as always!
Broadoak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct I must admit I had forgotten were the sign came from. It goes back to my exhibiting Colonelís Crossing days in the early nineties. I photocopied it from the magazine then washed it over with acrylic paint to disguise its origin.

Well spotted.

Peter
Broadoak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A view you canít normally see on the model, because it is hidden by the back scene (removed for a track cleaning session). A small loading dock at the Medusa Cement Coís siding at Benson. Another little item made from odds and ends in the scrap box built in an evening.

GE 23-7 four axle switcher spotting cars at Benson. The large building ( Redwing Milling) is a scratch built grain elevator complex made from a plasticard shell covered with corrugated iron sheeting. I re-scaled an N scale drawing in a magazine of an actual prototype in Montana. I painted it white originally but it looked a bit too stark, I think it looks better in this more muted shade.

Another unusual view taken from the grade crossing at Benson looking towards Arkansas Feed Co. GE No 2810 is switching a cut of cars in the loop. Andy took this picture using a good quality compact camera. There isnít room for an SLR.
Peter

Last edited by Broadoak on Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Broadoak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one of Andy Knottís locos this one is brand new and not fitted for DCC unlike his other locos. (It was at a price he couldnít resist, about £20.) It is the latest version of the Bachmann 44 tonner with a central motor instead of the two separate powered trucks that they used to have. The plain yellow livery is perfect for an industrial or fictitious short line.
The 44 tonner is seen switching cars at Colonelís crossing. The structure on the left is scratch built in plasticard and thin card from a plan (probably Chris Ellis) in Scale Model Trains many years ago. The building next to the UP box car is a freelance structure that I made to fit the site. The buildings in the back ground are actually pen and wash drawings on cartridge paper glued to the back scene.
Peter

Last edited by Broadoak on Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
giles b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That powdery products loader.....what a brilliant bit of kitbashing. I must look in my scrap-box and see if one can appear on Lazy River when it gets its yard extension later this year. Also provides an excuse for at least one covered hopper to appear.

Wish I could also do it in G for the Catwater & Southern, but covered hoppers are far too modern and high tech for a backwoods 3ft gauge line in the 1940s, I suspect.
Broadoak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad you approve Giles I hoped someone might see the potential. Itís not a model of an actual prototype of course, itís generic I suppose. Iím a firm believer in if it looks right!
It is rather odd but there is another similar device just out of shot in the photo above. This one is working the other way though, with loads being transferred from covered hoppers into trucks.

Incidentally it was nice to meet you at Arundel were I had my Two Sisterís Farm layout.

Peter.
Ken

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for more great pics Peter.

Giles the short 2-baycovered hoppers mostly date from the mid 1950's, with early examples emerging in the 1940's. Also just because the line si back-woods does not mean that what would have been modern stock may well have turned up.

Making the loader in G-sclae would be a challenge, yet presumably the space saving qualities Peter referred to would be evn more invaluable.

Ken
Broadoak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The little 44 tonner certainly gets about, it is seen here spotting a CNW covered hopper at the Medusa Cement facility in Benson. ( Iím beginning to feel embarrassed about the photos, my friend Andy takes them I merely supply a suitable backdrop. )

Peter

Last edited by Broadoak on Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Jordan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broadoak wrote:
... Iím beginning to feel embarrassed about the photos, my friend Andy takes them I merely supply a suitable backdrop.

Don't be; after all if you hadn't 'merely' supplied such a good backdrop, he couldn't take such good pictures...!!! Laughing Wink
Broadoak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More photos without locos this time by way of a change.

The little house next to the grade crossing (an inexpensive plastic kit of unknown make) the owner of the house is not only a vintage tractor enthusiast but a rail fan as well. The tractor is the famous Waterloo Boy. This was a two cylinder tractor that ran on kerosene the company that made them are better known as John Deere.

The Talbot Valley Farmerís Coop property at Benson. The box car is being loaded with farm produce, probably melons. Seeds, fertiliser, and farm machinery are all delivered here with vegetables etc being out bound loads. The switcher crew are seen taking a short coffee break. The little Atlas shanty was the first American building kit I made.
Peter

Last edited by Broadoak on Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 1 of 23

Jump to: