FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More rambling round Arkansas
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Broadoak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter
Jordan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That RI #942 SW1500 is not an old Athearn Blue Box, is it, Peter? Looks to be very impressively detailed - real mesh cover on the hood, it looks like. Very nice indeed! Wink
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

942 appears to have moulded plastic handrails, the chains at the ends being a giveaway here. 286 has got the "blue box" style wire handrails. Wink

As usual with Peter's locos though, both look good.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
Broadoak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The #942 is a modern Athearn with fully detailed cab interior and very fragile plastic handrails, a lovely model if a tad too brown in colour to my mind.

#286 is a very early blue box Athearn, I bought it second hand for 9 twenty odd years ago. It had the original wide motor in it which I replaced with the newer model which I got from Victors.
It runs as sweetly now as it did twenty years ago.
It just goes to show you guys are paying attention, I'm impressed.

Peter
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing wrong with earlier models as far as I'm concerned Peter. As you say, the details on newer products can be incredibly delicate but when push comes to shove the truth is that they are made to be operated on a layout, not put in glass cabinets. As such the older models win every time for durability and when you step back a couple of feet the differences in the details aren't worth bothering about.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
Broadoak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob for that, I must admit to liking my blue box fleet, they survived five years on the exhibition circuit in the early 1990's without any problems. As you rightly say at normal viewing distances the lack of tiny details is not apparent.

All my newer models have at sometime or other had to have parts re-glued back on, and I am very careful how I handle my models. Not sure how they would fare on the exhibition circuit with different guest operators though.

Regards Peter
Jordan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broadoak wrote:

It just goes to show you guys are paying attention, I'm impressed.

Laughing Laughing Laughing we do our best!!! Wink

I'm also a fan of metal handrails in particular - not only far more robust than plastic ones, if you do a repaint you can actually get paint to stick to metal handrails!! I've never had much success painting plastic handrails - the paint will flake off at the slightest touch. I even tried a product by Microscale supposed to prevent that... yeah, right... Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by Jordan on Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Broadoak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan,

With regard to paint flaking off the plastic handrails. There is a paint made for painting the inside of clear radio controlled car bodies that is very flexible and stays on without flaking off. It is available in the primary colours plus black and white I think. So you would have to do mix for anything exotic.
I gave my god son a radio controlled car and used it on that, and that really did have a hard life but the paint stayed on.
Might be worth looking into.

Regards Peter
C Ford

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I reach back in my memory I had similar problems with hand rails on some Athearn locos and ended up soldering up replacements from brass wire. This is much easier than it sounds. These are quite robust and with a decent waft of primer, hang on to the paint much better than the springy plastic.
Jordan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broadoak wrote:
Jordan,

With regard to paint flaking off the plastic handrails. There is a paint made for painting the inside of clear radio controlled car bodies that is very flexible and stays on without flaking off. It is available in the primary colours plus black and white I think. So you would have to do mix for anything exotic.
I gave my god son a radio controlled car and used it on that, and that really did have a hard life but the paint stayed on.
Might be worth looking into.

Regards Peter

I don't suppose you recall the name of the paint, Peter? Sounds interesting/useful.
Broadoak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan,

I'm sorry I can't remember the exact name of the paint as it as nearly twenty years ago. However it is called polycarbonate paint and Tamiya do it in a spray can or a bottle for brush. I would think the brush version would be best for handrail painting.
Try a local radio control model car shop who should have some, or at least be able to tell you were to get some. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Regards Peter
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you mean this paint?
paint

I have noticed it in model shops, think it is also in brush version

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
Broadoak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that's the stuff Simon, but it used to be available in small bottles to brush on, probably a better bet for handrails.

Peter
Jordan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks both for the info! The only place I've seen Tamiya paints readily available was in the old Modelzone stores, now closed down although some large WH Smiths branches have a Modelzone section I believe.
I note the "do not use on plastic models" warning, so brush application to handrails would be preferable.
Broadoak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been a while now since I posted any Alco pictures, so for those suffering from withdrawal symptoms here is a small fix.

My old friend Andy Knott has been having a tidy in his loft and came upon the two Suzy Q loco's. The first is an Atlas RS1 and is seen working in the yard at Benson.

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 21 of 23

Jump to: