FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A short tour of Two Sister's Farm
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Broadoak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: A short tour of Two Sister's Farm Reply with quote

Iíve never done a layout tour of Two Sisterís Farm and I have now been sent some photographs Iíve never seen before taken by Mick Thornton.
The tour wonít take long as the viewing section is only 39 inches long.
The layout is very simple with an inglenook track plan and a two road fiddle yard.
It is built to a scale of 1/32 but some of the rail trucks are actually 1/35.

A Couple of general views looking away from the fiddle yard. Images by Mick Thornton.

Peter
extra7000south

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a fantastic job Peter!! Cool
Broadoak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad you like it Glenn, a little bit of a change from my HO scale switching layout. Smile

A view of the small engine shed and a general view of the workshop. The Forson ďNĒ tractor is being warmed up before starting work in the fields.
Images by Mick Thornton.

Peter
Broadoak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The layout is probably best known for its unusual motive power, a selection of rail trucks and small diesels.
The first rail truck built was an Opel Blitz truck running on an Athearn switcher chassis.

Peter
Broadoak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The next rail truck I built was a Chevrolet and being rather shorter than the Opel I had to extend the body slightly to fit an Athearn chassis. Unfortunately it didnít work because it was far too high off the ground. However I found a Bachmann Brill trolley mechanism worked fine because of its much smaller wheels.

I came across a 1930ís looking Opel truck that was fitted with a gas producer which looked different to the other Opel. This I managed to fit onto a Con-Cor switcher chassis.
A few pictures showing all three rail trucks waiting to start work in the morning.

Broadoak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of shots showing an MF35 being checked over before starting work.

Peter
Broadoak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To finish the tour a few general views of the yard and some of the variety of locomotives used.

And that as they say is all folks. A small layout with a variety of unusual locomotives something not to be taken too seriously, itís just a bit of fun.
Smile Peter
Broadoak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things have been quiet on the exhibition front during the summer but with the next show at Haynes near Bedford just a month away I thought checking the layout a good idea.
It is stored in the same spare bedroom as the HO switching layout under a cover made from black bin liners. It is odd but despite being completely covered it always manages to get a bit dusty.
I set the layout up and ran the Quad gun tractor for the first time to check clearances before going public with it. It was fine as I thought it would be, although the clearance under the bridge a little bit tight.

Whilst the layout was set up I took advantage of the situation and took a few photographs as it hasnít been photographed for some time.

Peter
Ken

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter

It should be out of place, but somehow that Quad gun tractor looks right at home on the Two Sisters line. Excellent photos.

Ken
Broadoak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ken. Smile

I took the photos myself with my wife's little compact camera.

Peter
Broadoak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While still in David Bailey mode I took a few more photos of the layout as it was being checked over.

The Davenport arrives in the yard pushing a wagon with an engine on it that has come in for some much needed attention in the work shop. The modifications to the little locomotive can clearly be seen and make it look a little different to the norm. It has also now had a little more weathering applied. The engine and other items on the wagon are left over bits from the truck conversions.

The view looking down on the group shows a couple of modified ex military figures discussing a problem with the driver of the Davenport.

The problem solved, we see the loco depart with the man standing on the footplate. It was obviously taken in the era before health and safety became an issue. You may remember it, we just used common sense in those days.

Peter
Broadoak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Later in the day the Simplex type loco arrives pushing a minimal train. The man hitching a ride on the engine cover is a 1/32 scale Siku tractor driver. He is made of a flexible hard plastic that is not easy to cut or glue. I have moved both his arms down slightly by making cuts at the shoulder joint then repositioning the arms. I found super glue worked by making several small applications and keeping the joint under pressure. Paint then hid the join.

Even later that same day the Quad arrives from the fields having picked up the tractor drivers.
The seated figure in front of the coal stage is another ex military character with a tiny Labrador puppy inside his shirt.
The children like this when counting how many animals there are on the model. It keeps them occupied while the adults watch the trains.

Peter
steve

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter,

Is the engine on the truck out of an Airfix 1/32 car? MGB maybe?

steve
Broadoak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean Steve, it does look like the cast iron lump out of an MGB but itís out of the Opel Blitz truck actually. It looks a bit small for a truck engine I must say. I had to remove it to get the Athearn front truck under the bonnet.

Iíve got a rather nice six cylinder engine out of the GMC truck in the spares box as well. Iím looking to build something with an open bonnet to display it sometime in the future.

Peter
steve

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Peter.

I built dozens of those Airfix cars in the 60s & 70s!

Come to think of it, a tired Airfix Mini would look right at home on the farm. Very Happy

steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: