FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Box-file sized 'layout'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rudderlesshippy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:50 am    Post subject: Box-file sized 'layout' Reply with quote

I thought I ought to post a couple of photos of the first layout I've attempted to build that hasn't got scrapped while still on the drawing board…

Although nothing is yet permanently fixed in place these photos still represent more progress on a project than I've ever made before and hopefully the fact that I've posted them will encourage me to keep going and not allow myself to get distracted by yet another half-baked idea!

Andy

http://rudderlessrailwayramblings.blogspot.co.uk
trainsgeorge

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a lifelong armchair modeller, may I be the first to wish you every success with this. Great oaks from little acorns grow!
rudderlesshippy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks George… I've been an armchair modeller for almost 30 years and thought it was high time that I built something (albeit a very small 'something')
I've just finished giving the inside of the box a coat of paint and as soon as that's dry the track is going down!

Jordan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudderlesshippy wrote:

I've just finished giving the inside of the box a coat of paint and as soon as that's dry the track is going down!

Way to go!! Keep up the enthusiasm and as you say, don't get bogged down by distractions - there's a lot to be said for little projects like this, and a lot more operating potential in them than is at first apparent...
Press on!! Laughing Wink
Broadoak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it’s a good idea to start small, you can always expand by adding to it later.

So many people start with all sorts of grandiose schemes that fizzle out. I speak from experience having made that mistake many years ago.

I think you have made an excellent start. Very Happy

Peter
rudderlesshippy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your kinds words… A little encouragement goes a long way!
Still making progress, I'm currently (if you'll pardon the pun) working on the power feed/connection to the PECO LocoLift 'cassette' and also experimenting with a backscene. All being well I'll post another pic in the next day or so.

Andy

jimread

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eyup Andy,

This is a great way to start and very easy to add bits to it without getting yourself into doing too much. I've started a small 00 layout and the first things I made were a couple of the free kits from Scalescenes.

I'll bring the small warehouse one with me to Woodthorpe so you can see how they are made.

The fronts from the wooden or the larger warehouse would look great in your box and they're both free, they also do a small station building as well at a very modest price.

I hasten to add that I've no connection with the Co, I'm just amazed at how well they go together and how strong they are.

Jim
rudderlesshippy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested to see the warehouse… I've downloaded one myself but not for this particular project (planning a more rural theme for this one…) I like the look of a number of the kits, the gable roof engine shed for starters.

Things have ground to a halt a bit of late, part way through ballasting the track (pending finding my paints… They're somewhere 'safe') hopefully the exhibition will kick start me again…

See you on Saturday…

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: